The Rex and Tivoli Cinemas at Topsham Hall 1931-60

Topsham HallThe builder of the hall, Henry Gould, who had opened Topsham's first cinema, the Cosy, in the 1920s, set his sights on Matthews Hall for a cinema from the start. Gould again set up his projection equipment, this time in a purpose built projection box with twin projectors, allowing multi-reel films to be shown.  (TFS still use the projection room to this day).The cinema proved to be very popular and queues often waited for the front door when a popular feature was shown. The usual cowboys, cartoons and adventure films were shown at the Saturday morning shows for the local children. Sometimes a rowdy youngster had to be removed and banned from the next show, by Gordon Edds who operated the cinema, as he had the Cosy. He made his own custom screen and installed a Morrison sound system in 1931. The first sound film to be shown was Palmy Days, with Edward Cantor. The cinema was named the Rex by 1939, managed by A G Curtis. After the Second War, Topsham Entertainments was formed, a British Thompson Houston sound system installed, and the cinema was renamed the Tivoli. A 15ft 6in widescreen was even installed by the operator, Wing Commander A R Buere. The cinema closed in 1960.
 
Topsham Film Society is proud to continue this tradition of screening quality films to the residents of Topsham and surrounding areas. (Picture and some text used with thanks to D . Cornforth. Exeter Memories)

Upcoming Films